Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sunny Sunday on Alki Beach

Sunday, we went for an early lunch on Alki Beach with Margaret and Tom.  I don't remember the name of the cafe we ate at, but they had the best chocolate chip macaroons (my mom would say they tasted like a Mounds bar!).  Nate and I split a turkey cranberry sandwich on focaccia bread.  After lunch, we walked along the boardwalk for about an hour.  It was a beautiful and sunny morning, so the beach was packed with people. 

Later that afternoon, we met up with my aunt and uncle for dinner.  The last time we visited, they were excited about this new dumpling place that opened up in Bellevue.  They know good food, and haven't steered us towards anything less than delicious, so we were excited to say the least.  Nate and I love trying new places although my mom would describe me as picky at times, I'm willing to try new things most of the time.  (Nate's not picky- AT ALL!)  There are some things I just won't eat, like lamb and veal.  Anyway, back to the dumplings.  Din Tai Fung is a popular chain in Taiwan.  Evidently, they are as common there, as say, McDonalds are here in the states.  It would have been intimidating had we been there for the first time by ourselves, but since my aunt and uncle were not new to this (they ate there like 3 times in one week when it first opened) they helped us out.  They have things on the menu that were familiar, like fried rice and noodle dishes.  What I wasn't familiar with was all the types of dumplings.  At the suggestion from my uncle, we ordered the juicy pork xiao long bao.  What's xiao long bao, you ask?  It's a burst of flavors and textures.  It's warm and comforting. It's, yummmmm!  Really though, it's a soup dumpling.  And, a soup dumpling is like any other dumpling, except for it has broth sealed inside the dumpling.  Like you might be, I wondered how they got the soup in the dumpling and managed to seal it up nice and neatly before steaming it.  Well, I googled it.  Apparently, they mix broth with gelatin, let it set up, and cut the gelatin into small cubes which they mix with the filling.  The gelatin melts when heated, which makes the "soup" inside the dumpling.  Careful, these suckers get hot!  You have to poke a hole in the top of the dumpling to let the steam escape before you eat it.  Also, there is a technique to devouring these little savory purses. 

Steps to eating
1. With your soup spoon, scoop up some of the vinegar/soy sauce mixture
2. Place a dumpling on your spoon using chopsticks (or your fingers!)
3. Poke a hole in the top of the dumpling so as to not scald your mouth
4. Top the dumpling with shreds of fresh ginger and slurp up dumpling

I'm not sure how these measure up to dumplings elsewhere, but if you're in Seattle or Bellevue, I would recommend you check out Din Tai Fung.  Be advised though, this place is hoppin'.  We went on a Sunday at 5 o'clock in the afternoon and were seated right away.  By the time we left, though, the placed was packed. 

The dumplings were served in bamboo steamers, and we happen to have one at home.  After my last dumpling, I was already craving more.  Nate volunteered to break out our bamboo steamer and make soup dumplings when we get home.  Score one, Katy!




Image courtesy of dintaifung.usa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment