Sunday, June 5, 2011

Farmer's Market/Flight Museum

I'm playing catch-up.  We've had a couple of days when we weren't feeling our best, and by the end of the day, I'm ready to get some rest.  I just asked Nate, "What the heck did we do on Thursday?  I know we did something, we had to have done something, didn't we.......?"  Yes, we did.  After sleeping in, we finally got around to leaving the house at a super early (not!) 12:30 pm.  We had lunch at Panera (yum!) and stopped by the outlets at Issaquah.  Nothing struck our fancy, and we headed back to Bellevue so I could get a massage (my neck totally went spastic on me).  After my massage, we headed to the Bellevue Farmer's Market to check it out.  There were some great vendors to check out, and since it was around dinner time, we split a plate of yummy nachos and had some local ice cream.  After that, we headed to The Museum of Flight in Seattle.  Nate's Uncle, Tom, being a retired pilot, both commercial and Air Force, volunteers at the museum.  The first Thursday of the month, from 5 pm until close, you can visit for free.  We took advantage of this, meeting up with Tom after his shift in the space exhibit.  He gave us a personal tour of the museum, or as much as we could see in 2 hours.  You need much more time to fully explore the museum.  We spent most of our time checking out the WWI and WWII planes and exhibits.  Tom knows so much about the history of aviation.  I'm sure I didn't retain a quarter of what he told us.  I did learn, however, that though war is an ugly monster, it breeds innovation.  I am not forgetting, or making light of the estimated 8-10 million military that died and the 12 million + civilians who lost their lives.  I'm simply saying that the drive to have planes that could wipe out the enemy and their planes resulted in a huge jump in technology.  The planes came a long ways from the Wright Brother's first successful flight in 1903.  Improvement on top of improvement led to planes like the Fokker D.VIII (Germany: 1918- A later and greater greater version of the Red Baron's Fokker Dr. 1 Triplane) and the British S.E. 5a (1917).  I also realized, not only do I need to brush up on my knowledge of the first and second world wars, but also that I find the subject matter intriguing.





No comments:

Post a Comment